Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Sunday, Monday and Tuesday - Free Days and Ankle Problems

Sunday was our first free day. My friend Patrick and I decided to make it a chill day and we ended up wandering around and stopping once again in front of the Colosseum. The thing had kind of a magnetic draw for us that first week. I think we went there four times or so. We also checked out the Column of Trajan, bought some street art and listened to a guy playing Spanish guitar on the street. Nice day.


Monday, June 4

We were going to head to the beach this morning. The idea of sitting and soaking in the water and soaking up the sun sounded very appealing to me after the week of walking everywhere. Patrick, Arlene and I took the bus to the Tram station, where we were to leave for the beach, when we stopped at a little used bookstall. I found a few books in Italian that I am familiar with in English, in hopes that I can continue to learn Italian by reading them. In one book, I found this cool vintage photo of a fountain, so that is a cool freebie souvenir. Unfortunately, it was a bit cold and windy and seemed to be threatening rain so we (grudgingly) agreed to forgo our beach trip until a sunnier day.
When Arlene and I were looking through the books (while Patrick stood around looking bored) a young man approached us. I guess he had heard us speaking English. Julian is 19 years old and from Washington state. He has been traveling Europe, mostly couch surfing and staying in hostels, and has sailed in every country where he was able. He was going to be in Rome for another day before heading to Spain, where he was going to sail to Mallorca, Menorca and eventually Turkey. He told us funny stories about staying with a sheep-herder where he was allowed to live with the family for a few days in exchange for help with the flock. We left the bookstall and grabbed some lunch at a great little place, Aristocampo, near the Pyramid of Cestius … pizza or buffet, birra & caffe for 7 euro, a great deal. 

Patrick
Arleen

Julian


After we ate we decided to head to the Fontana di Trevi, where we checked out the vendor stalls, ate gelato and did our obligatory coin toss and drank water from the fountain to ensure our return to the Eternal City. I sat for a while, mesmerized by the fountain and the sound of rushing water and murmur of the crowd. There are guards there, whose entire job, it seems, is to blow whistles at those who deign to sit, stand or climb on any part of the actual fountain, although sitting on the ledge of the pool seemed to be acceptable. 



Next stop was the Spanish Steps … by this time I was in a good deal of pain, my ankle throbbing and swollen. I determined to sit at the bottom while the others climbed to the top however my curiosity got the best of me. I could not simply wait there and miss out on the purportedly spectacular view. I made my way up slowly hobbling little by little to the top. 




The steps are flat and shallow, unlike those on the Palatine hill (or the Coliseum apparently) so it could have been worse I suppose but by the time I reached the top I was nearly dizzy with pain. I hate to be the one that slows everyone down or holds them back so I trudged on, trying to ignore it. We were aggressively approached by rose sellers, stopped to haggle with a vendor selling designer knock-off bags and then made our way down the hill at the back to find a bus stop. It was gorgeous and a fabulous experience but by this point the pain had me in tears. We rode and changed buses, bidding farewell to our new friend, and managed to return home where I promptly elevated and iced my ankle, which was swollen up like a softball.
I really enjoyed the day for the most part but, of course, the ankle problem really sucks. I cannot say for sure but I think that I have walked well over 35 miles this week, often up stairs and along very uneven cobblestone streets and sidewalks. This has not been very ankle friendly, particularly on the one that had a torn ligament/tendon almost a decade ago. So Tuesday I ended up missing out on the Capitoline Museum tour, instead staying at the hotel where I slept, read and sketched for most of the day. I cried during our little courtyard meeting because I wanted to go so badly but just couldn’t do it.

I spent the day reading about what I missed at the Capitoline (although that was kind of depressing) and drawing/painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment