Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum


... Okay, no, not really but I had to use that reference. Anyway ...

May 31st, our second full day in Rome, we went to the Roman Forum.



It seemed in some place to be just a jumble of stones and solitary pillars while other parts were strikingly grandiose, like the triumphal arches of Septimius Severus and Titus. These were huge and detailed, covered with friezes, carvings and inscriptions. Beth, the presenter who told us about the arches, was quite enthusiastic about it which made it easier to get excited about the subject too. (even though it was the last thing before our lunch break and we were eager to rest).


The least enjoyable part for me was the giant rocks we had to walk on; they weren't anywhere near smooth or evenly placed so instead of walking around and looking at all of the stuff around me I had to constantly watch my feet ... seen them before! I would have rather looked around me more.


Dr. Weber pointed out the remains of a huge basilica ... a "big-assed" basilica to be exact. I, of course, being the sarcastic person that I am, asked where exactly one would find the ass of a basilica. He quickly responded ..."In the apse" and for the remainder of the day refered to it as the "big-apsed" basilica. Pretty funny dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment