Saturday, March 10, 2012

Out of the Blue (Guide)

So I started ordering the books from the syllabus for the class. Today, I got the Blue Guide and started reading all about places in Trastevere, the area where we will be staying. I figured it might be interesting to learn more about the area nearest the hotel and work outward. It is amazing reading about all of the crazy awesome art and architecture that will be that close. The Palazzo Corsini is one of the locations that houses part of the Galleria Nazionale D'arte Antica, where you can see works by Fra' Angelico, Rubens, van Dyck and Caravaggio amongst others. I have read about the works of these artists, seen reproductions in books and studied them in class but to think that works of that caliber are on display within walking distance from where I will stay for two weeks ... it just blows my mind. In fact, every time I think of one of the iconic pieces of art or architecture that I will be able to see I am filled with overwhelming awe. This is going to be the experience of a lifetime. I know that there is so much to see that we won't be able to see more than a fraction of it but seeing any of it is verging on miraculous to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment